Thursday, May 3, 2012

Carl Dolan

Okay, so this is way freaking late.. but I only decided to start this blog today... so  ;-)... content generator ON!.

So, Carl Dolan 2012.

First off. Well organized race. Nice folks, good course, sponsors. A guy with a mic working the crowd, and plenty of great folks.

Race Highlights: It was short. Fast, and I was doing alright. I over-reacted out of the last time through the only corner on the course, and as such blew up a bit on the rise before the finishing strait. Right after I got to the top, someone crossed the seam in the pavement, wobbled, made contact with someone else, and ... CARBON BOOM! I think 4 - 5 people went down, but all I really know is that I missed it.

I missed it, but I saw it. FUN was not had by all. I rode in 19th, and found that vaguely satisfactory. My major goal was to avoid the droppage that I suffered last year @ Luray / Page Valley, and I managed that.

Notes for others: The only gripe I have is that the ref's allowed a dude (obviously a tri-guy) to ride in Cat 5 on Hed 3 spoke aero rims (specifically not allowed by UCI in mass start rides). Not only was the tri-guy a little.... how to say this nicely.. attacky.... but also a bit... affected by winds and such. The reason these things aren't allowed in mass starts is because they are tricky in breeze. Next time, I'd be much happier if he got DQ'd or told to grab his training wheels (I bet he's got Ksyriums just like everyone else....)

Anyway, I was pleased.



No comments:

Post a Comment